Sunday, August 7, 2011

Road Trip!

 So Doug and I started our road trip on Thursday. We loaded and packed the trailer up to the very last inch, I did a quick plank, and then it was off to our first destination... Park City! We went up there to spend some time with Doug's Aunt Jackie and Uncle Don and sister Erin. Jackie made a delicious dinner, and then we got to sleep in the master bedroom. Super nice! The next morning, we headed on the official road trip. We were off to Wyoming! 

 
The last picture taken in Utah :(

So Doug and I started on our way going on the I-80 through Wyoming. There is nothing there I tell you. Lots of just open space. Doug was kind enough to drive the whole way, and I was his navigator. While we were driving through Wyoming, we randomly hit tons of traffic on a one way highway, while all at the same time coming across an LDS museum of sorts. Martin's Cove was right off the highway, so we took the opportunity to take a break and let traffic die down. While there we learned all about the Martin Handcart company, the trials they went through, and I even got to take a picture by a real handcart! The picture below is Devil's gate, where pioneers passed through to seek shelter in Martin's Cove. I am so glad I never had to endure what the pioneers had to go through!



 
 So once we saw everything we needed to see, we were back on the road!

And we were on the road for a long time. There honestly is nothing to see in Wyoming, other than dessert. It was by the time we rolled into Custer, South Dakota that things began to change. It is beautiful there. South Dakota was so different from Wyoming mostly because there is so many trees, and it had fast food there. We did not see a single food joint the whole way through Wyoming. For dinner we had Dairy Queen... yumm!

We were so tired by the time we got into Custer, that we wanted to just eat and get into a hotel and crash. We went to a motel that got really good reviews, but they only had a smoking room, and we didn't want to sleep in that. We decided to just go down the road to the Custer Motel since it was the closest, and seemed to be the cheapest thing there. It was $65 a night, but what we got was not worth that $65. The bed was a full, and the cover (I can't even call it a bed spread because it was one of those pads that goes over the bed and never gets washed) was disgusting. The shower had an uneven floor and we didn't even attempt to see if it worked. Our hand towels had little bugs crawling in them, and the bathroom had a window right where you sit down, but no blinds or shades to cover it. It was lovely. We were so grossed out by the place, that neither of us slept more than 2 hours that night. We watched a movie at 3 AM, tossed and turned until 5, and we were out of there by 5:30 AM. If you ever pass through Custer, SD, I wouldn't recommend the Custer Motel. 





Before we left Custer for the next day of the Road trip, I had to get one picture in of the Flintstones park. It was a random camp site/amusement park in Custer. It was 5:30 AM, we were so sleepy, but I again had to plank in front of the more random place I had ever seen (per request of Matt). 

1 comment:

  1. EWWWW that hotel looks nasty in the pics so I can only imagine what it looked like in person!!

    ReplyDelete